Monday, April 20, 2009

Perfect Moment Monday - Stars Shine Brighter


Lori says that Perfect Moment Monday is not about creating moments, but noticing them.

It is honoring the sacredness of these days we call life.

This memory of this moment struck me a few weeks ago, and I thought it would be best to write it down and share.

When I was a junior in college two of my friends came to my house for the first few days of spring break. The first night we went out into the field in front of my house and looked up at the stars.

The sky, in all it's magnificence, was full of twinkling little stars. I never really thought much about it. I mean, I grew up with those twinklers, so why would I think they were especially brilliant.

My friends though, being city-folk, they were amazed, befuddled, in awe, substitute any other word for amazement.

You see, I grew up in a cabin in the forest. It is on a hill in the middle of nowhere, where on a clear night you can see the night sky in its true form. I never thought much about it, I had never lived in a city at that point - even my college was out of the way. And when I visited city lights I was always in awe.

That night I realized that there are very few people that get to live with that brilliance on a daily basis. I need to get back to that brilliance. I need my daughter to know it too. I hope she knows it so well she takes it for granted too. I want nature to be, well, natural for her. No fear of bugs or dirt - just a part of life.

Appreciating what I had been giving all those nights in the 18 years I lived there - and really recognizing/understanding it - that was a perfect moment.

4 comments:

Lori Lavender Luz said...

I went to college in a small Kansas town, the type where you could see the inky velvet sky.

Oh, how I miss that. Oh, how I want my kids to know that.

Thanks for reminding me of this treasure!

Anonymous said...

That's great. I had many friends my NYC/Jersey area. When they visited my house in W. NY it was like a whole new world. I had never really thought about it before.

Peeveme said...

Right on. I'm a city girl but in my heart I'm a country one. I hope my daughter can experience nature...not just the park. My parents did that for us. I need to do that for her.

Jill said...

How cool! Thanks for sharing...

ICLW